Wednesday, July 22, 2015

NHS - What To Expect

Sorry Ive been MIA. I just kinda feel like I've got nothing to blog about. If you have some suggestions for blog topics let me know!


Today Steve & I went to our first doctors visits in the UK. I'm not a big fan of doctors so it took 2 days of excruciating tooth pain to get my butt to the office.

We registered with a local GP a week ago so I knew I had to call the office at 8am to make a same day appointment. They gave us back to back appointments of just 10 minutes each. Odd - but I figured they would just run over if they needed more time. The Brits aren't exactly known for being the most punctual (hello buses and trains for example).

We arrived right on time, signed in at the front desk and sat in the waiting room. Steve went first and came down right at the 10 minute mark. Then it was my turn.

The Dr was nice enough, she didn't introduce herself which I found a little odd. There was no nurse to run basic tests, see what was going on, I went strait into the doctor's office. She asked why I had come in and I explained I had a few things I wanted to talk to her about. Instead of saying "OK, what do you want to start with" she said "well we only have 10 minutes". EXCUSE ME?! Yes I get that I'm not at the ER (A&E) but in this day and age professionals not only offer their services but also customer service.

I explained about my mouth pain and my fear of being in pain when I was home for the next two weeks. I wasn't expecting her to open my mouth and examine my teeth but I figured she would ask a few questions - nope. She asked what I was taking for the pain (Advil & Tylenol PM) and she said "how about some codeine?" What??!! Codeine is what I had when I had major oral surgery. There was no discussion of follow up with a dentist or anything.

I explained the weird pains Ive been having with my feet, the big transition of driving everywhere to walking all the time. I explained I self diagnosed one issue I was having but it wasn't improving & she looked & told me to just put a topical pain reliever on it. -_- not impressed at all.

I also mentioned the depression and anxiety that Ive been dealing with since I moved here - pretty typical for an expat, and she suggested I read a website. Again -_-

I realize that I don't technically pay for the NHS as I am not working, but Steve pays a crazy amount of taxes every paycheck & when I start working I will be paying those taxes as well. I guess I was expecting more in-depth care. I realize things are handled differently here but to say I am frustrated is an understatement. Thankfully Steve's job has international insurance so I will be able to see a podiatrist back at home as well as my GP.

As far as the depression and anxiety I am going to reach out to the expat community and see if I can find someone Steve and I can talk to.

Have you ever used the NHS? Did you have a good experience?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Bridget, I'm so sorry! I knew that wait times for "well care" are different in the UK than the US...but didn't realize that "sick care" was so regimented like that. I hope the codeine will get you through the next two weeks. (I might ask for antibiotics too if you think it's an abscess).

    ReplyDelete