Monday, July 6, 2015

Home sick & Homesick

Hello! Sorry I've been MIA the last few days. It's been a super eventful and not so eventful last couple of days. Thursday night I had a great dinner out with a new friend (yes - real life friend in Reading!) Steve joined us for the last part of the meal & ate my leftovers.

Unfortunately Steve & I both got salmonella food poisoning so by Friday morning we were pretty miserable. We spent they day laying around our flat, moaning and wishing we had Gatorade & saltines (how a country lives with out saltines we have no idea but they will be in our suitcases on our next trip home). I'm a terrible patient and with Steve being sick too I was a terrible nurse. Saturday was more of the same - laying about, napping, crying and moaning. We were invited to a 4th of July BBQ in town but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Saturday night I thought I'd be brave and fix a simple pasta and red sauce for dinner. I was chopping up some fresh herbs for the sauce and cut a pretty decent chunk out of my finger :( Remember when I said I'm a terrible patient? When you add blood, crazy amounts of pain & fear I turn into a real monster. I'm not sure Steve has ever seen me freak out as much as in that moment, it was not pretty to say the least.

By Sunday to say I was a bit of a mess would be an understatement. Between the pain of my finger, being hungry but not really being able to eat properly and just being ornery from being cooped up inside. Add watching back to back to back to back episodes of Say Yes to the Dress on TLC means I was pretty much crying at every scene of moms & dad & brides (so 90% of the show).


Unfortunately between the holiday & being sick meant homesickness sort of took over & I had a mini meltdown that ended with tearful phone calls to my parents about everything that had happened this weekend. The 4th of July was almost always spent with my parents, participating in the annual 10k Peach Tree Road Race, swimming at the house, BBQing and just enjoying the day together. Thankfully my trip home at the end of the month is helping with the homesickness I'm feeling these days.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing! Homesick is bound to happen...I just wish it didn't hit while you were home sick. :-( That's a lot to deal with at once. I hope you're feeling better and that you're getting excited about heading back stateside to visit your family soon!

    ReplyDelete