Tuesday, February 10, 2015

All Things UK

Its been a long time since the US split from the UK to become its own country. You would think we would have more in common with our friends across the pond then just language. This expat is here to tell you that's not really the case.

Starting with something super basic- Doors! In the US we pull open 90% of the doors we go into. Shops, super markets, salons, most of them have pull doors. Here they're all push! I stand out as is being an American but when I can't even get a door open... the looks of pity are astounding!

Starbucks is different and not in a yummy, the coffee is all fair trade (maybe it is, I haven't been to one) but here in the UK they don't pay taxes!!! What?! That's crazy! So aside from a mug or 6 we will be going elsewhere for our coffee fix - which might be hard considering in Reading alone there are 6!!!! That's more per square mile then a lot of bigger cities!

Smoking! Everyone does it, outside, on the streets. Its weird! Ive not seen this many people smoking at once since I was at the bars in college!

Walking! Everyone here walks, which is nice. Its a super walkable town center - very hard to get used to for a girl who LIVES in her car - driving everywhere. My legs are so sore from just yesterday - tho I did walk 6.3 miles! But those walkers are rude! They just bump into you, they never apologize for hitting you with their bag, nothing. That's defiantly something to get used to.

I'm headed off to explore more of the city today. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment